Saturday, May 28, 2005

Sci in the Raw

I am loving my raw food diet. I think that has actually helped me the past few days - the ability to grab a cold, juicy apple from the refrigerator...to do as much "comfort" eating as I want and know that I am getting a wealth of nutrients that my body very likely needs, to conduct new experiments in the kitchen...Both my body and my brain are wearing little smiley faces, at least for this little diversion.

I don't really believe in the more New Age aspects of the raw food diet. Also, I don't, as a scientist, I have issues with their concepts of food enzymes. Yes, heating food beyond a certain temperature will denature the enzymes, that is basically biochemistry. However, the acids in the stomach will also denature the enzymes and, since digestion occurs primarily in the small intestine, what is received in the intestine has already been partially broken down. And, frankly, look at a lot of the photos of the people championing the raw food plan. Looks like they would be in the park handing out flowers to policemen and their horses. So why did I choose to try this out for myself?

Lowcarb eating changed my life. My wild blood sugar swings were stopped, my personality stabilized...I was happy again after a long period of darkness. But, I did have to give up a lot to follow this plan. As a lifelong vegetarian, the foods that I truly enjoyed were, in many cases, now prohibited. I traded culinary diversity for peace. Not a bad trade. But, I also know that so many things - juicy slabs of watermelon, fresh corn and sweet potatoes, beans and grains - do provide vital nutrients along with their delightful flavor. Right now, the ancillary nutrients in these foods, many of which are antioxidants, are of interest to me. I do believe in the concept of healing foods, so I meditated on the idea of shifting my diet to incorporate more of these foods.

Now, how does a person who has had major carbohydrate issues in the past take the step across the threshold to return to Kingdom Carbland? By using the principles of the glycemic index and glycemic load. Cooking food raises the glycemic values of foods. By consuming foods in raw form, the impact on the blood sugar is far lower. Also, I have been consuming my apple cider vinegar coolers with and between meals. Acids further lower the glycemic values of food items. So, it seemed logical that assuming a raw diet would permit me the healing foods, without the overwhelming blood sugar impact. Further, the raw food diet makes extensive use of nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut, etc. Foods with a solid fat content and appropriate levels of protein. Fat and protein have virtually no blood sugar impact and work to reduct the overall glycemic value of a meal when combined with carbohydrates.

Of course, any new course of action requires exensive research, which is something on which I thrive. I have spent many a contented hour collecting recipe sites in my Favorites folder, researching the appliances required to fully follow the diet plan (Champion juicer, L'Equip dehydrator, etc.), reading books...I have a project, a challenge, something to occupy my mind. Something to think about besides sickness. Something productive, entertaining and good for me at the same time.

How am I doing with it? Fine. I allow myself any fruit, vegetable, nut or seed that I want, as much as I want, whenever I want. So, I'll grab a pear, make a sweet soup with fresh carrots, whatever. I have learned that soaked beans and grains taste pretty much like their cooked counterparts. Just have to plan FAR in advance of when I want them for a meal. And raw doesn't necessarily mean cold. You can warm things, just not above about 110 degrees. But, really hot food doesn't taste as good as it does when it cools a bit and can have unpleasant mouth effects. Hard to taste much when your tongue has been burned by scorching hot food.

So far, my experiment has been a successful one. I am enjoying my meals and the mental diversion of my research. Also, with the new information coming out about potential renal problems, the lower overall protein content of the raw diet (compared with my normal lowcarb eating plan) may give the kidneys a much-needed rest. Will I stay on this plan for the long haul? I don't know. I know it is working now and I will continue on as long as it is giving benefit to my body. As I change with health, age, etc., my diet will likely change to meet the new needs. Change can be a good thing, sometimes....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sci, I have been reading your blog and am so sorry you've been having to deal with such horrific health challenges. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable you must feel physically and also mentally and emotionally, with not having any answers yet.

I am also incredibly amazed at, and impressed with, your spunk. With all you've been going through, to have such energy and enthusiasm for seeking out and eating healthy and healing food is remarkable.

You also have such a bright and thoughtful perspective on so many topics. And, to be able to retain that during these kinds of health challenges is truly impressive.

I really admire you, Sci, for who you are and the resilience inside you.

I enjoy reading your blog, and am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you get some relief and some answers very soon.