Monday, May 30, 2005

Princess Peapod

Well, the first delivery of my consumptives (some pun intended) arrived. My delivery time was slated between 7:30 and 11:00 am. In the kitchen signing myself up for Upromise so that I can squirrel away cash for my favorite boys' college funds, I hear that distinct BEEP BEEP BEEP of a truck in reverse. Had to go to the window and spy, of course. Turned out I was spying on myself as it was Peapod, 15 minutes early! So, I waited while he gathered the first round of my bags and remembered to go upstairs and brush my hair.

Clad in mismatched sweats and fuzzy slippers, I greeted the delivery person at the door and he came in to drop off my goods. Apologized for being early and asked where in the kitchen would I like my merchandise. While he went back for the second round, I began to unpack the groceries and made mental note of the service and quality of the items. Everything was neatly bagged and tied (not my preference, but it does show a degree of service). The produce was gorgeous. Now, I am not usually overly fond of Stop and Shop's produce. It tends to look a bit neglected sometimes and you have to take time to find choice specimens. That was a concern I had at the back of my head when I signed up for this service - I wouldn't be able to pick and choose. Well, my worries were unjustified. Beautiful. Fresh, unblemished, good weights and sizes (no skimpies). Much better than what I find on the store floor. It was also definitely still cold, so their claims that produce/dairy/deli is safe to deliver was honest.

The driver was a very nice man and definitely courteous and friendly. He said that they make deliveries to my town every day and run between 6:00 am and 10:00 pm. Cool. So, for $10.00, I saved myself the hassle of going to the store, doing the shopping, hoisting the stuff into the car (forgot that I ordered a watermelon!), unloading at the house, etc. Got it all dropped right in my kitchen. I think that is worth $10.00...

Of course, I am still bugged up the butt about the reason behind my signing up for this service. I also, a few weeks ago, upped the frequency of my maid service to weekly. I hate a messy house (weird, since my classroom looks like a landfill) and found myself not able to really keep up with the cleaning. There is not too much damage I can do to the place in a week, so my brain stays on even keel in terms of twitching out over filth. Wednesday, the ladies arrive and that is the same day that the landscapers show up to brick in my patio. Last year, they removed all the plants and put crushed stone in the space. Now, I want brick. All brick. Shoveling snow over crushed rock is a pain and dealing with the inundation of leaves is not easy. Brick simplifies things and will look nicer. I will engage some willing individual to purchase for me a resin recliner so that I can enjoy my patio, while keeping the feet raised.

Wednesday also brings a followup with the gastroenterologist. I have my pelvic ultrasound tomorrow, so he will have those results. The pelvic ultrasound will be painless but a big pain. You have go in with a FULL bladder. The instructions specifically say you should arrive with a STRONG urge to urinate. Doesn't that suck? We are always told to go whenever we feel the need, and now I have to drive with a full bladder and sit in a waiting room before the test feeling the need to explode. Boy, I just can't catch a break! The -oscopies on June 10 also require prep and they also suck. Liquid diet for a day, powerful laxatives...

Today is a high-pressure day. This means that my mood is chipper. I don't swing nearly as much now that I am on Prozac, but I do still feel better and happier on high-pressure, sunny days. Also, I don't bloat as badly, and that improves my mood 1000%. The bad thing about these days right now is that all I want to do is go tearing around outside. Since I won't see quite as much swelling (at least until tonight), I convince myself that I'm better and consider filling my day with out-and-abouting. BAD SCI!!! BAD!!!!! Newspaper whack on the nose!!!! I have to restrain myself and continue to my vegetative ways. Probably I will have to work some compromise. I will most likely play with my new juicer, make short trips up and down the stairs to do some laundry - that sort of thing. It will be a brain-help day. If I do something productive, no matter how minor, I will alleviate some of the guilt and bad feelings I have about myself and my situation. The trick is to find the balance between action and inaction. And, I stink at that. I am far too obsessive when it comes to myself. I am great at working compromises and peace-keepings with others, but for me it is a binary situation. 1 or 0.

So, I shall shoot for the 0.5 today. A little activity here and there, rest, rest, rest...I think I need to make an Excel spreadsheet....

1 comment:

leaveme alone said...

Glad to hear the weather is nicer, the grocery service turned out well, and you are feeling better and can alternate between activity and rest! Peapod must be an online service? I was looking for home delivery for my mom, but none of the stores did it. She has no computer which makes it difficult. Ten dollars is a great price to get your groceries!