Thursday, June 30, 2005

The Absence of a Thing

Today was my visitation with the surgeon who performed my laparoscopy. All day, I felt the creep of nervous energy. Or the vapors, I'm not sure which. Being surrounded by the incessant high-pitched whine of power tools began to eat away at my composure fairly quickly. Today was brick-cutting day for my patio work and I was starting to lose what little mind I had left. So, the nerves that were building in anticipation of my medical visit were being rasped with sandpaper for hours on end. It was a blessing to vacate the dwelling and head to the hospital.

My hopes were high that some informration would be forthcoming that would help clarify my condition. Of course, with typical pattern, those hopes were quickly dashed. I don't have any visible cancers or tumors or anything weird. There wasn't even much fluid in my abdomen during the procedure. The only thing that could be visibly observed was a weird inflammation of the liver. Not rampant cirrhosis or anything. In fact, the surgeon had no idea what it was. So, back to the ever-expanding drawing board.

But, the absence of a thing can be considered good and I can't really argue with that. The absence of cancers and tumors, etc. - I'll vote for that being solidly good. When I returned home, the brick cutting was finished. The absence of the noise was most definitely good. A nice little front has moved into the area, temporarily banishing the heat and humidity - Good, good, good...Right now, I'll just give thanks for the things I don't have in life. Seems to be the most optimistic thing to do...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the absense of information can be good. I am glad to hear of all the things it isn't? I am glad to hear the noise gone. I hope your symptoms are getting better and that all the most recent tests can provide clues to your the cause of your inflamed liver. May you have a peaceful evening!

Anonymous said...

I meant to say "the absense of a thing" not information. I couldn't figure out how to edit my comment, the heat has fried my brain, sorry.

Prom said...

Thank goodness no C. Sci, it did sound like hepatic problems but I'm puzzled that you show no sign of jaundice and thatyou have the polyuria

Dawn Rossbach said...

Well, I am certainly glad to hear that there are no tumors or cancers. That is a good thing. I am sure that you are relieved in that respect. I am sorry they didn't have more answers though.

Did they give you any specific clues to what will happen next? Or just the general drawing board?

leaveme alone said...

Hope the next round of tests finally give you some answers. Waiting is sometimes difficult.

Prom said...

Sci, has anyone mentioned the possiblity of an autoimmune disorder?

I hate to suggest this but a friend of mine had multiple organ autoimmune attack in response to soy (something she is sensitive to).

Anonymous said...

Geez - of course this is good news in many ways, but, how frustrating, nonetheless, to still not have any answers or relief! Your optimism and persistance are incredibly inspiring.

Anonymous said...

You did get some answers, No cancer or tumours.... that is a relief. Hope they find out what is wrong very soon, and I hope that you will start feeling better soon too.

Mona

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you are having such a terrible summer and hope everything is cleared up for you soon!!

Brownie said...

I wish they'd been able to give your 'thing' a name, but I'm very happy to hear that it's not C. The enlarged liver and polyuria have my brain wondering. I hope you're feeling better. I miss you.