Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Listing Littles

Lately, I have been experiencing a goodly dose of pain from each corner of my ever-expanding form and have had little to do but think. Little topics on my mind:

1. Health - duh. The newest pet phrase used about me is "unusual constellation of symptoms." I must admit that is rather cool...But, I have been punted to the higher powers in Boston and must submit to further inquisition on August 25 by those masterful minds.

2. My patio - how to decorate/utilize it. Right now, it is barren save for a bird feeder that has been adopted by 2 squirrels, a pair of house sparrows, 1 male goldfinch and 1 mourning dove. I would love to make it a decorous and useful setting, but lack any talent for such things. Would like a solar-powered waterfall...

3. Money - Damn patio set me back FAR more than estimated and that pinched like the dickens. Guess I'll have to investigate the lucrative profession of prostitution. I do live on a street corner...

4. Weight - I am an official fatty and that irks me. I am at my highest weight ever - the scale at the doctor's office insulted me royally by displaying 152 lbs. The combination of total inactivity for an extended period, an out-of-control appetite and my innards going completely askew has skyrocketed my weight. I am horribly uncomfortable, detest my appearance and now must face the possibility of having, of all things, to go on a diet. The doctor says that I shouldn't worry since she feels much of this is medically-promoted, but I am still not happy with the road that I must travel to get back into shape. Glad I have a full fitness center in the basement. And a TV. Wonder if I can get a fridge for cheap...

5. Clothes. I have none. Now, when a woman says she has no clothes, this is generally a code for "I have 3 closets and 8 storage bins full of garments, but don't FEEL like wearing any of them right now." In my case, it is, however, a statement of fact. I have lived the past month or so with 2 pairs of shorts and 3 tops. Everything else is far too small, even underwear and shoes. Its not like I gradually gained poundage and had time to supplement my wardrobe. I went from skeleton to mastadon in the blink of an eye and now am up the creek without the proverbial paddle. I have a cruise to undertake in August and have not one stitch to wear. This means shopping, which is quite difficult right now, and money, which is in short supply....

6. Cat. I am considering getting a cat. This is a very difficult decision for me. I love/hate pets. I love the companionship, but absolutely abhor the duties involved. I detest cat hair on my furniture and on myself. I will not tolerate my new furniture being used as a scratching post - it is the only real furniture I've ever had (always had to get second-hand garbage since I had evil cats). I enjoy being able to display fragile objects. I don't like litter pans - not the work involved, actually, but the appearance, the smell and the inevitable tracking of litter around the house. For the first time in my life, I have a clean, comfortable house in which I can place any object in any location and actually investigate and invest in quality (or a reasonable facimile) furnishings. But, I am also lonely. I have been suffering terribly from isolation sickness and I remember fondly the companionship of a fellow living creature. So, I am considering another friggin' feline. Of course, the type I would get would be a Sphynx - the type with no hair - and those run a tasty dollar...but no cat hair to worry about...

7. My car. It needs detailing in the worst way. Also, the windshield leaks and there is a very disturbing noise under the hood. I hate cars for this reason. They self-sabotage and it is up to me to deliver them from their jam. Luckily, my mechanic is within walking distance and I can do a drop off and walk home. But, its another drain on the brain.

There are other little mental ruminations, but those are the ones lit with neon lettering. Nothing earth-shattering, really, but issues that will actually require action on my part. And that is what I am least capable of at the moment - action. Both physically and mentally. I am just pooped with having to think about life and take actions to keep things flowing somewhat smoothly. Of course, this is really just a big bag of whine and I should be paddled for such nonsense, but when you are couch-surfing with your good buddy Percoset, whining counts as recreation...

8 comments:

fuquinay said...

I don't understand. Did you not stomp and scream and demand that you be seen long before you must be in for the start of school? Is there something wrong with these people? Are they complete fucking boobs?!

It is wrong for you to have to be in this much pain for this long. What you are doing here is not whining. You have every right to be angry, depressed, and full of complaint.

Maybe a ferret would be a better pet for you. I don't think they scratch, but they do use a litter box.

Take Ginger up on her hubby. They're going to Boston soon, and maybe they can drive a little more north.

GRRRRR. I am so angry about this I could just poop on their heads.

Jane said...

Ferrets smell really bad...I have VERY clean friends who have a pair and they just reek. Every time I handle them, I have to wash my hands repeatedly to get the smell off.

Sci - I know how much you hate shopping, but are there any nice consignment stores near you? You'll lose all of the weight, so this way you could get some "new to you" things and not have to spend too much on clothes you won't need a very short time from now.

Cars SUCK. I have very bad car-ma, so I can relate.

I so hope things get sorted out for you. This is been such a dreadful journey.

XOX

Anonymous said...

What a relief it is to have you post. How selfish is that!

I am sorry you are in so much pain!!! I wish I could help.

I too am glad that you will be going up to Boston and I certainly hope they will be able to help you!

I might be able to help you out with some clothes. I have some 16's and 14's. One brand new adorable outfit that would be great for vacation but it is tight on me. It is a large. I would be happy to send it to you. Just let me know and I can email a picture of any clothes you might want.

I can certainly understand the need for companionship. I couldn't live without a dog. I might suggest a bird but they make terrible seed messes. I once had a tarantula that made a great pet because you can forget to feed them for a year and it won't hurt them, but I don't think you can snuggle up to one of those. Maybe you can find a hairless cat at a rescue. I have a friend who has potty trained their cat. They have some interesting devices for this. If you get one let me know and I will try to find you a link for the training device they used.

Its nice to hear from you! I hope you are feeling better soon.

Prom said...

What size Sci? I bet we have just about all sizes represented on the forum.

I'm appalled they won't see you sooner than the end of Aug. This has gone on way too long to be patient about it.

Jane, are your friend's ferrets neutered? I have two and they don't stink. I've never had anyone complain. However, they are by no means perfect in their use of their litter box.

How about a small dog? The kind that doesn't require being walked constantly and doesn't have the shedding kind of hair. Something that Chinese royalty might have kept.

Lisa said...

I'm glad to hear from you - I was getting worried...

You'll get good care in Boston - I just wish you didn't have to wait so damn long. Maybe if you go up and stand in their face and demand to be seen...hmmm...

Cars do suck - if Kim and Ginger can make a detour, that would be a good solution.

I can't help you with clothes - but consignment is a good idea - I just brought all mine to our local shop. Last week I could have helped you out - sorry.

I know you're lonely, but the cat thing seems to bring on more negatives than positives, considering what you wrote. Hairless will eliminate one problem, declawing would eliminate another, but then it can't go outside, and then there's that damn litterbox...if it chooses to use it...you could get a cat like mine who uses it only when she feels like it. That would REALLY suck. Maybe a little dog would be better.

(((hugs))) Thinking of you...

Dawn Rossbach said...

I think everybody covered a lot of what I would say, so no sense repeating it.

However, I can not offer you any clothes. I have a closet full, but almost everything has a stain of some sort on it. Teaching art is hard on the clothes besides the fact I am a walking stain magnet.

No hubby here to offer services! (that sounded bad).

I have a dog and a kid. Both keep me busy enough, but it really doesn't cure the loneliness of friendship/love of adult companionship. I understand that only too well sometimes, but sadly I have no solutions or advice.

I am just damn happy to see your post!

Anonymous said...

Geez Sci,

I can't believe they have no answers for you yet. How unbelievably frustrating. I'd want to kick some butts by now. I hope they can give you some answers when you go to Boston.

I hate you are having to go through this alone. Just know you have alot of friends in cyberspace that care.

As far as cats...no advise here. Most I've been around could care less about my companionship. I'm a dog girl. I do hope you find one that suits you.

Take care.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

Priestess SCI,
SO GOOD to see you post again.
I have dogs and cats. I suggest a declawed cat as a solution against the furniture shredding, hair you get from either species, but a cat you can leave for a week while you go on vacation, and a dog, you have to pay someone to watch.

I agree about the appt in Boston. WHAT THE HELL? The 25th of AUGUST???? With the pain you are in? What cretin came up with that? I say use some of that pent up frustration and bully the med establishment around some.

As for clothes--I have all sizes in my closet--from dressy to casual. What size and style, and I will happily send your way? Otherwise, consignment or Goodwill. People actually send new clothes to Goodwill because they just changed their minds about an outfit, got it as a gift etc. Its not all even gently used.

Thanks for posting--I think a lot of people were worried about you!