Sunday, June 05, 2005

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Monty Python ranks among the most profound of the modern philosophers and this bit of wisdom is especially relevant for modern times. I unplugged for a few days to hide from the world and commune with my 4 walls. I'm still butt-bound, however, I have tried to look upon the past few days with Monty Python's advice in mind...

Life with a side of Bright:

1. Sunshine
2. Blooms, leaves and chirping everywhere
3. The bustle of the neighborhood
4. Fresh fruit
5. Raw nuts
6. My poinsetta that just won't die
7. A friend who calls just to see if I'm ok
8. Fun movies - Harry Potter, Princess Bride, Spiderman, etc.
9. Popcorn
10. Wireless Internet
11. My new juicer and blender
12. Free tank tops from Netrition
13. Get well cards from my students
14. Real lemonade
15. Natural diuretics
16. Reggae, exotica, calypso, flamenco...
17. Tiki mugs
18. Maids coming on Wednesday
19. Cacao nibs
20. Thin toes

A weekend of quiet indulgence. Much needed. This coming week brings my -oscopies and a full day's preparation beforehand (liquid diet, potent laxatives, etc.). Thursday, I had an appointment with my doctor and she flat out said she was worried about me. Then, on Frideay, my doctor called to tell me she had phone-conferenced with my gastroenterologist. They agreed that I should be referred to a hematologist/oncologist. So that is on the horizon. But, right now, I have some down-time. Yes, I'm bored. Yes, my bottom hurts. Yes, I'm still swelling, albeit less with my hose and elevation on a continuous basis. But, at least I'm coping in my own home, with my TV, cd player, snacks, books...Almost like a vacation. A vacation from life. If only there was a pool boy....

4 comments:

Jane said...

Good to "see" you, Sci. I check in every day and I was starting to worry.....Nice list, BTW. I LOVE The Princess Bride. Have you ever read the book? It's wonderful in a whole other way.

Moonie said...

I am going to send you a nice tan pool boy to massage you ( if that wouldn't cause pain), and to bring you wonderful glasses of raw juices. Glad you checked back in. There is a world out here that adores you and cares about you and with that comes worry. I'll be with you in spirit during the scopes.

fuquinay said...

Yes. What they said. (Except I haven't read The Princess Bride.)

leaveme alone said...

Yes, it is important to look at the good things that life has to bring us. Glad you are enjoying a time of relaxation, and wishing you well for you next round of tests. I have not read the Princess Bride either...