Thursday, January 18, 2007

Horror Movies

I’ve been watching a lot of horror movies lately and I’m not quite sure why. Admittedly, I enjoy the flicks, but I always wonder what is the cause of any genre bias in either reading or video watching. Without fail, I always avoid chick flicks and sentimental clap trap and I understand that pattern. I am not a chicky, weepy femme so those pictures have little appeal to me.

But there are plenty of genres that I enjoy – mystery, action, scifi, comedy…so why am I hooked on horror pics at the moment? I have been feeding the dvd player a continuous stream of slasher films, supernatural thrillers, showcases of psychology gone wrong, scifi aliens on killing sprees…The funny part is that they don’t scare me. I am too detached to be scared. I enjoy the sound and visual effects, the bad acting, the convoluted plotlines. Actually, now that I think about it, I have more fun analyzing the technical aspects of these films than I do the overall cinematic experience. I must admit to also liking the humor in these films. Their lame jokes do tend to make me laugh. I was watching Freddy vs. Jason on the SciFi channel the other night and was cracking up more from that than I do any currently-produced network sitcom.

I’ve seen every film that Fear.net has to offer on On Demand. I’m busily plowing through my tape library (actually forgot that I had a copy of American Psycho, that was a nice find), scanning the premium channels for suitable offerings. Maybe it is the pure escapism that has me in its thrall. I’ve been very tied to reality lately and these offer a break. Maybe it is the fun of seeing just how stupidly the next person will meet their end. I’m all for the strengthening of the gene pool, so dumb kids who go skinny dipping at the old creepy summer camp deserve what they get, in my opinion. It is midterm period and I’m all about dumb kids at the moment. Maybe its because they don’t really engage my brain very much and I need the additional brain wattage to study for my upcoming physics teacher’s test…

Dunno…this too shall pass, in its time and I’ll be on to another thing. After I finish reading all of Clive Cussler’s Dirk Pitt books, of course…

No comments: