Friday, January 12, 2007

Hands Off My Bandwidth

I am currently enjoying my preparation period. Unlike most others, this one finds me with no papers to correct, no Xeroxing to be completed, no tests to write….just a break in the day. A good thing for a lackluster Friday afternoon.

During this period, however, my classroom is used by another teacher, so I have to relocate to the teacher’s workroom (the new name for the traditional teacher’s lounge). I pull out the laptop, boot iTunes, pop in the earbuds and start listening to my music. Then I spy it…never noticed it before. Sharing? What the hell…I am connecting to someone else’s iTunes list. And I know whose it is based on the name of the list, which is suspiciously the same as the digital arts teacher. I feel so violated. I do not want to share anyone else’s music. I examine the list of titles on the playlist and this further confirms my suspicions that I want nothing to do with this intrusion. Fergie, Beyonce…I could just puke from the thought of that trash being even remotely associated with my beloved laptop. I quickly kill the wireless connection and disable all sharing in my iTunes preferences.

This however, damages my calm. I do not want to have to jump into techno-ninja mode during my relaxing prep period. Even though the intrusion was quickly repelled, the need to maintain vigilance remained in the shadows of my brain and I find that I cannot successfully give myself over to Warren Zevon and his tuneful philosophy. Drat.

The onslaught of digital invasion is increasing in our society and I personally think that anyone who intrudes on my virtual territory should be shot, killed, skinned and butchered for the alligators to eat. I have nothing but caustic contempt for spammers, spyware developers and distributors, virus authors…They represent the lowest to which the human condition can sink. The human race after a nuclear holocaust, living in Omega Man conditions will have more going for it than these cretins. I think a law should be passed that if someone is convicted of authoring or distributing spyware or malicious computer threats, they should be put in the town circle and each citizen should be issued a heavy, pointed rock.

I have but a few minutes until I must return to the salt mine and take charge of my last class of the day. A little “Crazy Train” should put me in the proper frame of mind…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beyonce? Fergie? Ugh! What a shock!
Now, Warren Zevon -- I'm a member of the Warren Zevon Bulletin Board. Stop by some time -- it's a great group of people. Also, if you'd like to sign an online petition (you sign with your mouse) to get Warren into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (I know, I know, but it's one way to keep his music alive), there's a link at www.warrenzevon.com (you also can get to the BB through there). Maybe you'll be helping to educate at least a few people to quality music.