Wednesday, January 10, 2007

And The Stakes Rise...

This state is in such a shambles that it should be shot and put out of its misery. Today, I received a letter from the Department of Education. Backstory: in order to get a waiver to teach physics this year, I had to apply for certification in physics in order to be in the system. Everyone involved knew this was just a pitiful sham. Except, apparently, the DOE. My letter today informs me that I only need to pass the teacher’s test in physics and I receive PROFESSIONAL certification in physics. Not initial or preliminary. No extra coursework or higgledy-piggledy. Bam! I’m certified to the hilt.

This offends me. I have had a total of 2 physics courses and those were over 20 years ago. Passing a standardized test should not be the subject-matter criterion for teaching certification. That is a disservice to the students. With all the soapboxing about education and teacher quality, what it comes down to is that they just need warm bodies to stand in front of the chalkboard. At least in certain fields. Admittedly, states are desperate for physics teachers. Few are moronic enough to graduate with a degree in physics and go into education with the laughable salary base. But, this is just not right.

So, I’ll take the physics teacher’s test in March and then could, effectively, write my ticket to any school system. Definitely, I’ll be in a very comfy position at my current school. That thought pleases me…it pleases me quite a bit. I’ll set aside my offense at the hypocrisy of the DOE for now and take advantage of their idiocy. Get your bene’s where you can…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It just goes to show that letters mean different things to different people. I think of the DOE as Dept. Of Energy, not Education.

It sounds like you've created a perfect niche for yourself. After all, you are SciGirl, the Mistress of All Science Geeks!

It's good to see you.

Ginger

Bonnie said...

It's was nice to check in here and see something new. I'm glad your back to writing.

good luck studing for your test.