Sunday, April 10, 2005

A Quick Passing Thought

This morning I, as I do most weekend mornings, watched OnDemand programming. I watched several FoodTV shows while waiting for the regular FoodTV programming to begin. This made me think about the concept of OnDemand. Free programming is one thing, but the whole concept really began to offer first-run movies for a price to viewers too lazy to go to the video store. You sit on your couch, touch a button and you can watch a movie at leisure, the cost simply added to your monthly bill. This follows the increasing trend towards delivery for everything in life. Pizza delivery has now morphed into the delivery of any and all breakfast, lunch and dinner options. And, for some establishments, the telephone is no longer necessary. You can do it while surfing the web...a dubious benefit of multitasking. Groceries - you can have those delivered as well. Use the computer to send your list and a kind individual arrives at your door with your order. While, perhaps, a good idea for the elderly or house-ridden, it also begs the question of (1)the state of our society where the elderly and house-ridden have no real people in their lives to offer aid and (2)why the completely capable are flocking to these services in mass number.

Our lives are more busy. That is very true. However, when did they become so busy that we are unable to visit a video store or the supermarket to provide for our needs? To do all of our holiday shopping online to save trips to actual stores? When did we lose contact with the world? Decide to forego human contact and interaction? I find myself uneasy with this trend...

1 comment:

Moonie said...

I wish there were more delivery services like you mentioned in my neighborhood!! Due, simply put, to the aggravation of trying to find parking! I would love to go to the stores more often if I could find a place to put my dang car.
The other day I fought the parking lot to get some Jungle crackers. They were out. I am just going to order them online. In stock and delivered to my front door. I guess I will have to find other ways to make contact with humans! :)