Friday, April 22, 2005

Digital Diva

I am sitting, right at this very moment, in a Borders bookstore. Using my newly-purchased Sony Vaio widescreen laptop and a recently-acquired mobile wireless account. This specific computer was chosen because it was smallish, lightweight and had built-in wireless. Also, very high-quality LCD screen and other niceties with the hard drive, processor, ports, etc. The wireless account was to allow me to extend my computing ability to favorite locales such as Borders and Starbucks - I can work or play on the machine while interacting with the population at large.

The computer was provided today with a Targus neoprene case. Ultra-lightweight and water-resistant. Room for the AC adaptor and a variety of other goodies. Already ensconced is my 512 MB USB flashdrive that is my data-transfer salvation and my newest CSS book that is giving me some ideas for redesigning a couple of my copious library of websites.

In the pocket of my battered denim jacket is my high-tech cell phone, equipped with camera and fully enabled, albeit limited, Internet access. I could, if I so desired, use Bluetooth to transfer pictures from my camera to my laptop to document my presence at this Borders.

I am at the Borders today to browse about for some new tech-oriented books and a few cooking volumes. I have already a few titles in mind from a perusal of Amazon.com and can quickly check the Borders price against the Amazon ransom. With my Amazon Prime membership, I can get anything in 2 days for free or overnight for $3.99. Just a click of a button on my new computer.

My Tungsten T3 PDA decicded to sit home today, as I didn't have an agenda to watch or contacts to make. This evening will find me transferring the contact data from the PDA to my laptop and phone anyway, so I'll have that on hand no matter the situaton.

While sitting and sipping my dark roast with 2 shots of sugarfree DaVinci caramel syrup, I may take a moment to check the online travel companies for some flight and travel ideas for summer. The arrangement for my San Diego trip were made in under 10 minutes, with e-ticket immediately arriving in my email. American Airlines allows online check-in, so I had my boarding pass printed before I hit the airport. Allowed me to simply walk to the security gate, mosey through and relax until my departing flight.

I pay all of my bills online, had my taxes e-filed and the payments deducted electronically from my bank. Much of my curriculum work is conducted online and student assignments are posted and completed online. I have a state-of-the-art television and home theater, complete with a very interactive digital cable connection. Wireless broadband internet is installed in my house, so I can move my laptops (yes, I have two) to any room and outside to work. With temps in the 60's today, my afternoon might be on my patio doing a bit of online shopping for a relative's birthday gift.

I am a self-taught, self-styled digital diva. I embrace the unembracable - the ebb and flow of bits of data across the ethereal entity of energy that binds man to machine. Electronic tonic. Almost better than Diet Coke....almost...

3 comments:

MsC said...

I'll send you a centerfold of my Okidata color laser printer doing nasty things with my two digital cameras...techno tag team action...

Moonie said...

Get a room you two...

fuquinay said...

Well, here we part ways. I'm something of a luddite, and I loathe Diet Coke. Used to drink it daily. Done my time.

Enjoy your new toys. You will surely win!