Friday, April 01, 2005

More Money Than Sense


Rocello by Munktiki. #128 of 150

An apt description of me. And, since I have little money, one gets a good idea of my quantity of sense. I successfully procured the above Tiki last night on Ebay. Munktiki is a company that produces new Tiki mugs. Not pool party plastic nonsense, but quality Tiki. Their designs reflect new twists on old themes. Tiki Farm is another major producer, with more traditional designs from interesting Tiki artists. From a period of where it lay forgotten by the public, Tiki has made a resurgence and one can find new Tiki items, bars and themed-restaurants springing up like daffodils in springtime. Most is trash, as is the norm with a trend. But, some is true to the spirit and heart of the old Tiki glory and I will procure exemplar items of this category without guilt.

I prefer vintage or original Tiki, though. Items designed for use in active Tiki restaurants and bars. Those touched by human hands and used for their original purpose - serving drinks. Not ordinary drinks, though. Drinks of the most exotic nature. Wild and carefree. Swaying palms and balmy breezes. Bongo drums and the call of tropical birds. A hammock, a Mai Tai and a contented smile. A vintage mug grasped in your hand magically transports you to a sunny island where there are neither cares nor worries. A gentle adventure for the body and spirit. Slow and easy, friendly and welcoming, fruity and fun...there is nothing serious or stern about Tiki.

I prowl the Salvation Army, flea markets, yard sales and second-hand stores for examples of vintage Tiki. From these efforts, I have found reward in fine examples of old Tiki craft. Otagiri, Orchids of Hawaii, Stephen Crane...Some pieces proudly announcing the establishment for which they were produced - The Islander, Bali Hai, Kowloon, Mai Kai. Others, mysteriously anonymous. And I can feel the draw of the old Tiki the moment I enter a shop. Like Lovejoy, I am a divvy, though not for all antiques. Tiki calls, I listen. And it takes but a fleeting glance to determine for certain the authenticity of a piece. Even in pristine condition, the years lay on them like a fine patina. The spirit of the original American Tiki movement was fired in the glaze and remains there still.

Therein lies the distinction between Tiki pieces of modern production. Companies like Tiki Farm and Munktiki were founded by people who understand Tiki. They enjoy it, use their Tiki mugs for their intended purposes. The put their love of Tiki into their products and this elevates them wildly above the common trash that abounds in dollar stores and WalMart. They are Real Tiki, but for modern times.

I currently have a bid on a very limited edition of Bosko's homage to the classic Tiki Bob.


Space Age Bob by Bosko. #23 of 25

Only 25 are being made. Will I win this auction? Only the Tiki knows for sure. I hope that I am deemed worthy...

No comments: