Friday, December 16, 2005

The Worst Combination

Weather is an odd thing. It can inspire joy, pain, anger, fear...Generaly, like most folks, I am a fan of nice weather - mild temperatures, sunny skies, dry air...However, I am also a fan of truly inclement weather. The horrible, nasty snowstorm, miserable downpour of rain, galeforce winds - those situations are also enjoyable, but only when one can stay indoors and observe the goings on from the comfort of one's own living room. I cherish crappy days where I can sit on the couch, watch movies and quaff hot beverages. Unfortunately, today is that worst possible combination of weather events.

This morning is an unholy trinity of snow, sleet and freezing rain. And, I still had to go to work. No sitting at home and snuggling in the comforting warmth of fleece blankets. Normally, I could at least look forward to indulging once I got home this afternoon. Today, not the case. Today, the storm is supposed to rapidly move through the area and bring sunshine by afternoon. Rats. With sunshine, I'll want to be out and about, but out and about will be a slushy, pant-spattering mess. So, I'll either sit inside and be antsy to get out or get out and swear constantly about the awful conditions. And there is the puppy factor. Inside he'll be dry, but anxious to get out. Outside he'll be jubiliant and completely sodden with freezing slop. Now, here is where being Alpha comes in handy. I have final say as to his fate. Do I prize my own comfort over his happiness? Do I sacrifice warmth for a living Slushie? Already my head hurts....

No comments: