Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Plump as a Partridge

Whoa Boy! Is that me! Plump is actually a euphamism for totally fat. This damn fluid retention and metabolic slowdown has packed 60 pounds onto my frame and I feel every ounce. Ugh! Funny, though, the actual impact to my day in terms of stamina, comfort, etc. is really the only thing that concerns me. Odd, but I don't care that I look fat. Anymore than I cared that I looked thin. I just go about my day, as usual, and don't budget any mental time to thoughts about appearance. When I get a "looks" bug, it is usually about my hair or wardrobe, both which need professional assistance in the worst way.

I guess I really place much stock in personal appearance. I do have concern about "proper" appearance and believe that it is a mark of character that one at least does the best with what one has. Nothing irks me more than seeing people put forth no effort towards putting their best face forward. The basics should always be covered - hair washed and brushed, teeth cleaned, body and face scrubbed, clothes washed, etc. Nothing has to be fancy, but there should be some standard of appearance that signals a person has a sense of self-worth. Perhaps that is a flawed attitude. Perhaps self-worth can be expressed in a myriad of ways other than personal hygiene. I grant that other factors come into play, but there does seem to be a strong connection between basic grooming and how you view your inner self.

So, despite the fact that I am a tubby blubby, I cobble together a clean outfit for work each day, my body and hair are clean and I apply a moderate amount of makeup. Takes me all of 10 minutes in the morning to make myself "presentable," and that is quite acceptable for my morning minutes allowance. There are many teachers (and students) who look far better than me, but I at least make the effort to demonstrate a degree of care about my appearance.

Funny, too, is the lack of blatant staring that I receive since I've packed on the pounds. People don't bother to give me a second glance and that is positively refreshing. I now blend in with obese America. Pity, really, but I'll take that bit of easement of daily turmoil and rejoice. Compounded with the benefit that I am warm and toasty this winter, owing to the extra insulation, and my days seem a bit ligher (pun intended) than before.

Of course, I know, for health reasons, that this weight has to come off. The daily diuretics help somewhat (at least my lungs stay dry), but I have to wait for some breakthrough in my diagnosis to start to slide back down the scale. A dream for another day...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't care if you're plump or not, it's nice to "see" you.